Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hej!

Greetings to all of Jess's friends/family/church people/Rohan!  Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not Jess.  I'm her roommate back at UD, and we have switched blogs for the weekend in commemoration of these few days that we are in the same country, so here I am reporting to you about our time in the lovely Copenhagen!!  So far we have had Dansih pastries from Sankt Peders bakery twice, made grilled cheese sandwiches twice, and eaten brownies, mug cakes, ice cream, Fransk hot dogs, and an entire bag of chips each.  Ok, I know that sounds really bad, but we have also eaten a BUTT TON of vegetables.  Twice a day we've been frying up delicious medleys of carrots, peas, broccoli, and corn.  And sometimes we nibble on the peas and corn while they're still frozen... I blame Jess.

MUG CAKE!!
I'd also like to say, hats off to Jess for coming to visit me over St. Patrick's Day weekend because I go a little crazy at this time of year.  Not crazy as in I'm stumbling drunk around the city doing a bar crawl with my leg taped to someone else's at 11 am (that pretty much describes what was going on outside the Irish pubs yesterday afternoon), but crazy as in I just want everything to be green and perfectly Irish with accordions and fiddles blasting and I want everyone to love it just as much as me.  Jess knows this about me, and boy did she humor me like a true best friend :)  On Friday, we made a traditional Irish dinner for my Danish visiting family that consisted of Irish Soda Bread, Shepherd's pie, and a cabbage/apple side dish.  We had such an amazing time there, and I am so proud of our cooking skills because all the food was pretty amazing if I may say so myself. My visiting family played along perfectly by wearing green, decorating the table with a green tablecloth and green napkins, and letting me play my playlist of traditional Irish music.  Their reaction to the music was actually pretty funny.  They said they found it a little bit stressful, haha.  But I just want to tell you that Jess was an amazing chef that night, and because of our super chill team work, we are both so excited to cook together again next year in our new house!

So in the last four days Jess and I have seen quite a bit of Copenhagen, which naturally means LOTS of walking.  But we made it to Christianshavn where I showed her Christiania (known as the "green light" district- but I am happy to assure you that we only explored and did not buy anything sketchy! It's actually a beautiful area), we went to Nyhavn- the famous touristy street with all the colorful buildings, and today we made it over to the citadel and saw the extremely underwhelming Little Mermaid statue.  It's really just a statue of a mermaid, everybody.  And in the original story the prince marries someone else and Ariel dies.  Yayyy HC Anderson!!!  Also, tonight we'll take the metro to Fredericksberg to go to my Danish church!  Hopefully this will be an interesting cultural experience, since everything is in Danish and Jess isn't used to not understanding the native language.  But we will have a translator, and there will definitely be some awesome music.

This weekend has been so amazing, and I am incredibly grateful to Jess for making the trip here all the way from Spain!  It will be sad to say goodbye again tomorrow, but this was an awesome reminder of what a great time we have waiting for us back at UD in the fall.  Love you, Jess!

Now I must unfortunately tell you all farewell so that Jess and I can make some omelettes and veggies for dinner.  Yayyy more peas and corn!!!  If you want to read about Jess's opinion of Copenhagen, you can read her post on my blog here!  So long, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment