Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Winter in Granada

Hola from Granada!

Yes, it's true!  I'm in Spain and already starting what will prove to be a very exciting (and overwhelming) semester abroad.  We landed yesterday afternoon after almost 18 hours of traveling (we had quite a layover in Madrid).  I met my host mother, Ana, and settled in to my new room for the next five months!  Even though I'm staying with another University of Delaware student, I have my own room!  It's pretty small and VERY cold, (I do not think they believe in heat in this country) but has everything I could need and a window that looks out onto the street and a little plaza.  Unfortunately, it is not in the historic, beautiful part of the city, but I'll take what I can get when I'm living in Spain! 

So after getting to the apartment, my roommate and I ate lunch with Ana, unpacked, hung out in the living room and chatted with Ana, and ate dinner.  Then we went to sleep!  It was a VERY long two days with very little sleep on the plane.

Today, though, was way more interesting.  Ana walked Dana and I to "La fuente de las batallas," where we met the rest of the group.  Our two directors, Amalia and Teresa, then took us to the Centro de Lenguas Modernas, where we'll be having all our classes this semester.  We had an orientation session where we learned about our intensive language/culture class during January, as well as some planned excursions.  Later, Dana and I returned for lunch, took a small break, then met the group again for a walking tour of some of Granada.  We went through and learned about several different plazas and a cathedral.  It was getting dark, so it got VERY cold.  I do not think I packed enough warm clothing!!

I'll post pictures next time I update!

1 comment:

  1. Yay another blog post! It's so good to hear what my favorite roommate is doing in Spain! I miss you, but here's hoping to see you soon in Europe!

    ReplyDelete