Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Leaving Granada

So tonight is my second to last night in Granada.  That is just far too weird for me to really understand.  Clearly I am in serious denial about leaving, but I'm not even doing it on purpose!  The body's defense mechanism, maybe...  Anyway, I thought I'd make a list of some of the things that I will miss the most and the least once I leave Granada and return to the U.S.  So here we go!

Things I Will Miss the Most
1. Ana, my host mom
2. Amalia and Teresa, our program directors
3. Flamenco dancing classes
4. Speaking Spanish
5. Living in a city and being able to walk everywhere
6. All the friends I've made here (most of which do not go to UD :-( )
7.  Going for tapas and sangria
8. Churros con chocolate
9. Ice cream shops on every corner
10. Seeing the Alhambra all the time
11. Seeing snowy mountains
12. Sunny weather almost constantly
13. All the dogs and babies on the streets
14. Watching Spanish game shows with Ana
15. Litter-free sidewalks!
16. Spending the afternoons at outdoor cafes
17.  Ana's cooking
18. Sunset at 9:30pm

Things I Will Not Miss
1. The horrible exchange rate
2. Ten minute showers with no shower curtain and a hand-held shower head
3. Lack of actual napkins
4. Spanish restrooms
5. All the fried food
6. The Spanish habit of staring
7. Dog poop on the streets

As you can see, I clearly am having a hard time with the whole leaving thing.  BUT in just over 48 hours I will get to see my family and friends again after 137 days away woo!

I will leave you with some pictures from last night's farewell cocktail:



The teacher I worked with at a Spanish elementary school :-)

The Alhambra by night

One of my program directors, Teresa!

Amalia, my other program director!



 Look forward to my next (and last) post which will be from the United States!  I'll be flying home all day on Friday (with a 6 hour layover in Madrid) and will land at JFK around 4pm.  Prayers would be appreciated for a safe flight and a smooth transition home :-)

1 comment:

  1. And be prepared to spend Friday evening stuck in traffic on the belt parkway. Can't wait to see you

    ReplyDelete